by Matt Cook /
January 1, 2021 /
Credit Reporting Errors

Credit Report Correction Request Denied: What to Do Next

credit repair
Any adult who’s been taking care of their financial standing knows what a credit score is and has probably examined their credit score reports a few times. However, when an error comes up on your report, the best thing to do is file a dispute. What should you do if your dispute request is denied?
This hurdle is common for many people trying to manage this issue on their own. Let’s look at the ways in which you can deal with a denied correction request.

Examine the Reason for Rejection

If you sent a dispute letter to the Credit Reporting Agency (CRA) on your own, you might find that your request has been denied. The reason for this is that, as a layperson, you may not have sent them complete information or provided the documentation required for the change to be made. That’s why the rejection letter is your first clue. If the reason for rejection is a lack of proper information, then the next best thing to do is to file another dispute with the help of a lawyer for credit repair, like myself. I can help compile the right kind of documentation and create dispute letters that are more likely to hold up.

Contact the Creditor

If the CRA in question states that the information provided by the editor is the basis for the incorrect items on your report, you can also ask the creditor to get the incorrect item removed. On paper, the creditor should then be able to verify the records you’re providing and then contact the CRA to get the issue resolved. However, if the CRA has already contacted the creditor previously, you may receive some resistance or delays in the process.

File Complaints About the Creditor or Agency

If neither the CRA nor the creditor are co-operating and you’re absolutely sure that your credit report is wrong, you can file complaints against either or both organizations. The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau is where CRA complaints go. The bureau can then pursue the complaint themselves or send your complaint to a relevant agency. The Federal Trade Commission is where you can file a complaint against the creditor. Most creditors are largely governed by the FTC, but in some cases, there are other government agencies that could help you better. Either way, the FTC or CFPB are where you can have your lawyer file a formal complaint.

A lawyer talks about a case sitting on a desk with a computer, books, and calculator.Enlist Credit Lawyer for Help

This one should go without saying, but a lawyer for credit repair is the best option when dealing with the bureaucratic mess of correcting a persistent error. As a credit lawyer in St. Louis and Chicago, I’ve gained serious insight into the way these processes work and can help avoid all the common mistakes that a layperson would make. The right kind of language, documentation, and proper error tracking can go a long way with correcting credit report inaccuracies. Reach out to me for more help on this and my other practice areas: bankruptcy credit errors, debt harassment, and background check mistakes.